Tuesday, June 7, 2011

To be a person is to have a story to tell

After I lost my father in an unexpected car accident I joined a local support group for guidance.  I sat in a room full of strangers who all claimed to be suffering loss of a loved one as I did. The leader told everyone that the pain we all felt was the same pain. I thought how the hell does she know? I spent weeks listening to other people speak about personal bereavement and tragic events they survived. Once a week we were suppose to take turns telling our loved ones stories ,show and tell style, we were suppose to bring in an item that belonged to the person and share it with the group.

One day the leader read this passage: Have you ever wondered why migrating geese fly in a V formation?

As with most animals behavior, there is a good reason from which we can learn a valuable principle of mutual aid.
As each bird flaps its wings it creates an uplift for the birds following.
By flying in their V formation the whole flock adds 71% more flying range than if each bird flew alone.
Whenever a goose falls out of the group formation, it suddenly feels the drag and resistance of trying to fly alone, and quickly gets back into formation to take advantage of the lifting power of the bird immediately in front.
When the lead goose gets tired it rotates back into formation and another bird flies at the point postion.
The geese in formation honk from behind to encourage those up front to keep up their speed.
When a goose gets sick, wounded or shot down two geese drop out of formation and follow him down to help and protect him. They stay with him until he is either able to fly or he dies. Then they launch out on their own with another group or catch up with the flock.

Flying in V formation
The person who was scheduled to bring in an item held up his wives quilt and showed it to everyone. I asked if I could have a look at the design and us women all passed it around between each other  I noticed  that the pattern on it was flying in V formation.

No comments:

Post a Comment